Senior Preconstruction Estimator
Senior Preconstruction Estimator
- Remote Capable however must work onsite as needed including Bid Day.
• Bachelor's (Preferred)
• Construction Estimating: 10 years (Preferred)
• Strong Division 3 and Division 4 Takeoff
The Senior Preconstruction Estimator (SPE) is responsible for handling all preconstruction and estimating services for our office in Hickory, North Carolina. Position reports directly to Director of Preconstruction. The SPE will be expected to handle 1-3 projects simultaneously taking any given project from concept thru project turn over to operations. The SPE may oversee 1-2 direct report Estimators assigning them specific tasks on a given project.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Responsible for all preconstruction deliverables to clients: Program/Conceptual, Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Documents.
• Perform risk analysis at project onset and develop strategy to minimize risk in order to ensure project success. Perform Strategy to Win (STW) on potential projects to develop bid strategy and determine bid outcome probability prior to determining bid participation.
• Assist in client sales presentations.
• Develop estimates and schedules for projects at all stages.
• Oversee preconstruction meetings for each project in absence of DoP.
• Take lead in preparing Guaranteed Maximum Price Proposals (GMP’s) for review and approval by DoP and President prior to presentation to Owner.
• Engage Client to ensure Client satisfaction during preconstruction.
• Lead transition efforts with operations and other key stakeholders in the project.
• Support operations during scope of work negotiations with subcontractors and other key stakeholders.
• Meet with President, DoP and Key stakeholders weekly to review upcoming projects and discuss manpower needs for each bid.
• Issue bid notices to all potential subcontractors, suppliers, vendors (this function is typically performed by the estimating coordinator)
• Provide post bid information to subcontractors and suppliers in accordance with company policy.
• Manage the process of obtaining bid documents and distributing bid documents to subcontractors, suppliers, and vendors for the purpose of soliciting pricing thru iSqFt.
• Manage data base of subcontractors / suppliers / vendors – goal is to keep the data base current and make locating vendors easy.
• Develop subcontractor / supplier / vendor resources.
• Prepare bid tabulation sheets for each bid submitted and maintain yearly summary sheet in order to evaluate our bidding performance and provide accurate up to date info to bonding company.
• Read, interpret, and quantify project documents.
• Prepare scope of work sheets with clarifications for sub review on bid day. Compile and analyze Subcontractor and supplier proposals to determine the best value.
• Minimize exclusions, scope gap and scope overlap thru thorough scoping of trades prior to bid day and by reviewing all quotes on bid day to get each sub into an apple-to-apple comparison.
• Must have experience with various digital take-off and estimating software systems including Timberline and On-Screen Take-Off.
• Organize estimates utilizing CSI cost codes for ease of audit.
• Prepare detailed take-offs / quantity surveys.
• Obtain costs from municipal agencies for permits, licenses, taxes, fees, etc.
• Capable of evaluating all divisions of construction with a strong background in K-12, Higher Ed, Industrial and Institutional construction.
• Develop rapport with Architectural/Engineering firms, subcontracting community, and other construction business partners in order to ensure client expectations are met.
• Prepare and document communication efforts, including RFI’s, for ease of transition to operations.
• Prepare General Condition estimates for review by DoP, Operations Manager, PM and President based on project schedules and project management approach.
• Experience in preparing scope sheets and evaluating and disseminating subcontractor scope of work proposals.
• Self-motivator with an ability to establish and meet deadline challenges.
• Competent at conceptual and hard bid estimating with strong value engineering knowledge and cost control capabilities.
Bachelor’s degree in Construction Engineering, Construction Management or related field, or equivalent experience required. Ten or more years construction estimating experience required. Concrete and/or masonry estimating experience a plus.
In addition to the above qualifications, the successful candidate will demonstrate:
Effective negotiation, team building, problem solving, mathematical and analytical skills; Exceptional organization skills and keen attention to detail, deadlines, and accuracy; Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; Strong conceptual estimating capabilities; Ability to coordinate activities on 'bid day'; and the following competencies: Safety First, Quality Work, Honesty and Integrity, Trustworthy Relationships, Family Oriented, Effective Partnerships, and Fiscal Responsibility.
• Dental insurance
• Disability insurance
• Health insurance
• Life insurance
• Paid time off
• Retirement plan
• Vision insurance
• Bachelor's (Preferred)
• Construction Estimating: Minimum (10) years estimating experience of which (5) years must have been with a General Contractor. • Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (including Microsoft Project), project management software (Procore or similar), estimating software (Timberline or similar), scheduling software (Primavera P6 or similar) and BlueBeam.
• Strong business acumen in project planning and management
• Strong verbal, written, and organizational skills
• Experienced negotiating skills to secure reliable contractor/vendor bids.
Abilities and Attributes:
• Advanced written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated problem solving capabilities
• Ethical behavior and integrity used in all situations
• Able to work individually, as well with a team
• Detail-oriented and able to multitask